Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Final Countdown

     With just two weeks left of my internship, I think it is time to reflect on my weeks spent at Health Leads.  What an experience it has been!  At the beginning, I was quite apprehensive.  I was unsure if I would make for a good Advocate.  I had a lot to learn.  I feared that I would not be able to handle the challenge set for me.  Well, I am glad I went beyond my comfort zone.  Although very cliché, I am thrilled that I explored the unknown.
     Helping people and trying to make someone's life a little better should be ordinary.  We should not think twice about extending ourselves.  Trying to lessen someone's burden should be a daily occurrence.  Unfortunately, we often get wrapped up in our own matters.  We forget about those around us.  Often, I am guilty of this.  
     Through this internship, I can truly say I remembered the importance of humility and compassion.  As an Advocate, I was accountable for someone other than myself.  My clients invoked my help.  Each week, I called to check in and make sure everyone was doing well.  I shared my client's frustration as well as their joy.  I felt compassion for my clients.  I tried to listen to each story, without judging.  Without predispositions or negative assumptions, I tried my best to help each client.  I never felt that the work I did was extraordinary or remarkable.  Yet, each client showed me incredible gratitude.  It was truly humbling.  To me, I did little.  For them, it meant so much.      
     Luckily, I am returning to Health Leads in the fall.  I consider myself truly lucky to have been such an incredible opportunity.  Remember, the most important thing we can do is help others! :)


   “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” 
― Margaret Mead


http://www.quotetails.com/Category.php?id=27

No comments:

Post a Comment